Traffic Citations Information
It's essential for individuals who receive civil traffic infractions to carefully review the details on their citations and follow the appropriate procedures outlined by the relevant jurisdiction, as these procedures can vary by location and by the specific nature of the violation.
Your options for a Traffic Citation
In Citrus County, you have 30 days from the date of issuance to elect one of the following:
- Option 1: Plead guilty, accept points on your driver license and pay the ticket
- Option 2: Pay the ticket and Elect Traffic School to withhold adjudication off your driving record
- Option 3: Contest the ticket and request a court hearing
Option1 - Pay the Ticket
If you choose to pay the ticket, points are assessed against your driver license.
Pay Online or in person.
Option 2 - Go To Traffic School
Election of traffic school is done at the time of payment and you do not need to contact the Clerk of Court prior to.
There are two options when electing traffic school:
1. The certificate of school completion can be submitted along with payment of the civil penalty within 30 days from the date of issuance of the traffic citation.
2. You can pay the civil penalty and elect traffic school at the time of payment. Payment must be received within 30 days from the date of issuance of your traffic citation. Once elected, school completion certificate will be due within 60 days of the payment transaction date.
If you elect the Basic Driver Improvement Course option, adjudication is withheld and the DHSMV will not assess points against your driving record. A course certificate of completion form must be returned to the Clerk’s Office within the allotted timeframe to be accepted.
If you are electing traffic school and pay by mail, you must send a signed traffic school affidavit with your payment.
Remember, you may only elect the traffic school option five (5) times in your life and the election can only be made once every twelve (12) months. Failure to timely complete the school course or timely submit your completion certificate or pay the fine will result in removal of the fee reduction, points being assessed, and suspension of your license and/or late fees being assessed.
Option 3 - Contesting Your Ticket
You must complete and submit a Not Guilty Plea and Request for Hearing. Click HERE to submit this form online.
The Court may impose one or more of the following penalties: A civil penalty not to exceed $1000; some infractions may be over a $1000 civil penalty. Section 318.14(5), FL Statute, Mandatory attendance at a driver improvement school. Section 318.12(5), FL Statute, Revocation or suspension of driving privileges. Section 316.655(5), FL Statute, Court costs and/or fines.
Citrus County Clerk of Court Locations
Physical Address110 N Apopka Ave
Inverness, FL 34450