Traffic Citations Information

A civil traffic infraction is a non-criminal violation which usually can be disposed of by payment of a civil penalty or election to attend a defensive driving course. A court appearance is not required, except in cases where the violation involves an accident with serious bodily injury, a fatality or certain other violations.

Your options for a Traffic Citation

In Highlands County, you have 30 days from the date of issuance to elect one of the following:

  • Option 1: Plead guilty, accept points on your driver license and pay the ticket
  • Option 2: Pay the ticket and Elect Traffic School to withhold adjudication off your driving record
  • Option 3: Contest the ticket and request a court hearing

Option 1 - Pay the Ticket

By paying the Traffic Civil Penalty, you are admitting guilt and the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV) will assess points on your driving record for moving violations.
Pay Online, by mail or in person.

Option 2 - Go To Traffic School

If you choose to go to school, you must sign the Traffic Citation Option Form and file it with the Clerk’s office, along with your payment, within 30 days of the date you received the ticket. Upon receipt of your affidavit and payment, you will be granted an extra 90 days to attend a driver improvement school. Failure to attend the school or pay the fine will result in the suspension of your license or late fees being assessed.

If you want to attend traffic school, you MUST elect that option at the time you pay the ticket. Once you pay the ticket without electing traffic school that option is no longer available.

Remember, you may only elect the traffic school option five (5) times in your life and the election can only be made once every twelve (12) months. Failure to timely complete the school course or timely submit your completion certificate or pay the fine will result in removal of the fee reduction, points being assessed, and suspension of your license and/or late fees being assessed.

Option 3 - Contesting Your Ticket

If you wish to contest an infraction, a written request must be submitted to the Clerk of Courts. A civil infraction hearing request form must be completed by you and received by the Clerk’s office within thirty (30) calendar days from the issue date of your infraction. The form may be filed in person or mail to address provided below.

Highlands County Clerk of Court

590 South Commerce Ave
Sebring, FL 33870

Phone: 863-402-6565